Friday, June 8, 2012

National Running Day 2012


This is my 2nd year celebrating National Running Day. Last year I ran it by myself. This year I was determined to involve others. I handed a few brochures around local businesses and asked my family and friends to help spread the word. Before I go any further, let me address a couple of FAQs. 
What is National Running Day? “National Running Day, held annually on the first Wednesday in June, is a day when runners everywhere declare their passion for running. Wherever we are and whomever we’re with, we run—fast or slow, alone or with others, all over town or just around the block. It is a coast-to-coast celebration of a sport and activity that’s simple, inexpensive, and fun. It’s the perfect way for longtime runners to reaffirm their love of running and for beginners to kick off a lifetime and life-changing commitment.” www.runningday.org/about/about-national-running-day
When did National Running Day start? Who started it? This one is tricky. They do not address this very well on NRD’s site but after some Googling I found another blogger who claims he received a response from NRD stating it started back in 2009 as a collaborative effort of the organizations listed on their “About” page.
What do I have to do? The core purpose is to get out and run, but part of the fun of NRD is to reflect on why you run. Their “I run…” bib logo offers a fun way to put those thoughts down in words and show others. On their website I was able to download a blank bib which I printed and brought to our local meetup as an icebreaker. There also was the option to fill out the bib virtually and share on your Facebook wall. Here was my virtual bib.

Do I have to run? No, you don’t. I encouraged people to join along for a walk. I started my running career as a walker. The running community is very friendly and having a couple people along with you and encouraging you may be just the push you need to try running.  Never judge a walker. Once during a marathon I ran I was passed by a walker. It’s true!
How did you get involved? This is a nationwide community effort so anyone, anywhere can host their own meetup. Runningday.org has all the info on what to do. Next year, go ahead and give hosting your own local meetup a go. It’s free so you have nothing to lose!
The Local Scoop
On June 6th at 6 p.m. a group of walkers and runners joined together at Bukolt Park to run the Riverfront Trail. A total of 12 people participated: 7 adults and 5 children (3 of these children were pushed along in strollers). After taking a moment to introduce ourselves and fill out our “I run…” bibs we headed north for a 0.75 mile loop. Then we headed south and made a 1.75 mile loop.  With the loop design of this run we were able to reconnect the runners with the walkers throughout the run. The asphalt trail offered a nice flat run with beautiful river views. Along the way there were friendly people speckled all along the trail, ducks were nearby with their ducklings, a few dogs and one scared puppy were playing together along the path, and we also saw what appeared to be the start of a concert in Pioneer Park.
Meet and greet while filling out their "I run..." bibs
Local meetup at Bukolt Park for National Running Day
"I run because it's fun!" - Halie
After talking with the group I have officially decided to launch a running group here in Stevens Point, WI. Come out for a run, meet some new friends, share your stories and achieve your running goals! For more details, email me at lacidtoes@gmail.com
So, why do YOU run?
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment